Thursday, September 10, 2015

Bon Mot Serenade - Day 12 - Remodel In Progress

I began-- a couple years ago-- a glorious remodel for a bathroom adjacent to my daughters' bedroom. I violently hammered away at outdated wall tiles that enclosed the shower for 50 years.  Peeled away vinyl floor tiles, no doubt laced with asbestos or some other fatal material.  The old needed to be destroyed to be replaced by something new, beautiful, and functional.

After picking out tiles for the floor and walls, I laid the floor tiles. Awesome. Smooth. I wanted to do something special for the walls so I put in accents and followed a clever design.  So far, so good.  It was becoming what I envisioned for the re-created bathroom.

Floor tiles in place, most of the wall tiles in place, it was time to find a shower pan.  Wow, those are SO expensive.  I don't want to tile the shower floor, but a pan seems too expensive. After starting so well, the cost and reluctance to spend the money for a shower pan at the time derailed my plans.

In my personal history, I am a great starter and lousy finisher.  Now, aren't you glad that I don't have the responsibility of demolishing your former way of living, building you into what you were created to be, and finally bringing that good work to completion?  You might never get finished.

Now suppose Jesus had my character flaw.  He finds himself on the cross, ready to complete the work God sent him to do.  What if these were his thoughts?

Wow, this crucifixion thing takes forever.

My calves are starting to cramp up.

That's the last insult I'm going to take from that worthless fellow on my right.

I'm outta here.

No! What did Jesus say? It is finished!  Jesus finished what he began.

Back to my bathroom.  When you look in through the door, it appears to be pretty good.  But, when you step in for a closer look, peering into the shower.  Something is wrong!  It's not good for its intended purpose.

Jesus was faithful to complete his work for us on the cross.  That accomplished work made it possible for God to not only begin a good work in us, but to also bring it to completion. We may be 'remodels in progress', but God is making something beautiful, and he will not leave it unfinished!

I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6 (HCSB)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment