Friday, September 11, 2015

Bon Mot Serenade - Day 14 - Ambiguous Ambivalent Ambulance Amb...

Out of the blue, better, out of the ambiance of the couch I was napping on, a strange thought struck me. Are there any really good circumstances surrounding words that begin with AMB? Yes, it is far from an ambrosial thought, that is, suggestive of the divine.  Rather, it is more of a rambling, ambling, barely ambulatory, series of awkward logical leaps.

The first word that came to mind is ambiguous.  Since I am on this ambagious, roundabout trail, I would like to come back to that word.

The second word to come to mind was ambivalent or indecisive.  Well, that's usually not good, especially if you are driving somewhere and are uncertain about the road to take.  Back and forth decision making not only causes confusion and delay, but often leads to wrecks.

The next word to come to mind is ambulance.  Which unfortunately, is closely related to ambivalence when driving.  There definitely appears to be a pattern with these AMB words.

A word that seemed positive to me is ambidextrous  Being able to do things equally well with both hands seems like a good thing.  Then, I recalled that I switched from my right hand to control the mouse to using my left hand because my wrist was hurting all the time.

Let's go back to ambiguous, or susceptible to multiple interpretations: vague. That was the word that started me on this tangent. So many songs today are written with vague meanings.  Jesus is merely an innuendo in the song.  It could be talking about boy/girl love.  It could be a song about God's agape love.  The FM Radio listener, if they still exist, wouldn't know for certain unless they were familiar with the band.

I love Steve Taylor and Peter Furler's lyrics in God Is Not A Secret:

Your in-depth research shows
drop the God, emphasize the beat

and

I am not running for office here
I won't keep it purposefully vague

I will not play those games
God is not a secret to be kept.

Let me add one more AMB word: ambassador. No one has ever been a secret ambassador.  In fact, the whole point of an ambassador is to be a bold representative.  This is not a time to be vague in songs or speech.  We are ambassadors for Christ!

that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.  Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:19-20. (ESV)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment