Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Bon Mot Serenade - Day 5 - I am not a robot

I am not - a robot

The world keeps feeding me
Inputs about how I should be
Trying to conform me
To the image of humanity

But I am not a robot
Living the pattern of this world
Letting TV guide my thoughts
Letting culture shape my world

I am not, I am not, I am not a robot.

These lines are part of a poem and devotion in The Flutter of Angels Wings.

In the devotion I wrote about an irony.  In movies and books, robots are given human characteristics.  In the real world, humans act as if they are following robotic programming.  In other words, I assert that humans are robots.

Unfortunately, our programming is the culture we live in: books, TV, movies, and music that fill our minds. When this programming gets in our head, our thoughts and actions are directed not by the Spirit living in us, but rather by the powers and philosophies of our culture.

Not all inputs are bad.  Christian books, music, movies, and especially the Bible, have the ability to transform us, rebooting our programming to God's original plan (through Jesus Christ).

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2 (NIV)

A couple fun songs related to robots inspired today's serenade: Strobot by LZ7 and Mr. Roboto by Rapture Ruckus.



No comments:

Post a Comment